Thursday, August 26, 2010

My Desired Career: Sports Writing/Broadcasting

1) News Analyst/Reporter (Sportscaster):

A news analyst takes news from various sources, makes his or her own interpretation of the best way to get the message across and then broadcasts the news. Reporters, also called journalists at times, go out and get the stories for themselves. They may conduct interviews, take photographs or collect video footage. It is important for reporters to take notes.

I want to be a sports writer or broadcaster and this would all be involved. Information would be gathered from game footage, coach and players interviews and front office personnel. There are many topics to be covered in sports. They include drafting players, player development, trades, free agent signings, personnel changes and much more.

2) Links:

http://www.ehow.com/how_16612_become-sportscaster.html

http://www.americansportscastersonline.com/

http://www.staatalent.com/

http://www.broadcastingschool.com/sportscasting.php

3) Books:

The Art of Sportscasting: How to Build a Successful Career

Sportscasters/Sportscasting: Principles and Practices

Starting Your Career in Broadcasting: Working On and Off the Air in Radio and Television

Sportscasters/sportscasting; principles and practices

Bob Wolff's Complete Guide to Sportscasting: How to Make It in Sportscasting (With or Without Talent)

4) My Thoughts on this Career:

I've always known that this is a very involved career that can be difficult to break into. I've always been passionate about sports so I'd be willing to spend my life around them. Baseball is my favorite sport, as I've been attached to it since I was about five years old. I remember the great Braves of the 1990s and it really gave me a true love for the game. Working with that organization would be a dream come true for me. Working on the show "Baseball Tonight" for ESPN would interest me very much as well. They run through the scores, highlights and latest news for all 30 Major League teams every night. I also love football and I like basketball as well. To be honest, working for ESPN in general seems very enjoyable to me. I spend hours watching ESPN so I'd be earning a living being around something I already love. I know this is a very tough field to get started in and that opportunities can be limited but I don't think there's anything else I'd rather do with my life. I enjoy the rivalries, the highlights, the record breaking stats, the blockbuster trades, the playoff races and I especially love postseason atmosphere.

2 comments:

  1. That’s always an interesting career to have. You get to travel to games and meeting incredible people. You get to go behind the scenes and get valuable experiences. The news is going on about reporters, specifically women, in the locker room, but I heard that it’s a great place to get ready and fresh information and material about the game that was just played.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard you talk a lot about this in class. I can see how much you love sports and how you want to apply that to your future career. I think you have done your research for this field, so I can see how much you love it. I think this would be a great job for you. You would get an inside look at the teams and get to travel to fun places.

    ReplyDelete