Monday, September 27, 2010

The Writing Life: "Hunkering Down"

Stanley Karnow said, "When I'm doing my best work, I'm not in control." I found this interesting because I too find that sometimes my imagination takes me to places I never thought I could go. When Karnow asked Georges Braque how he decided on his images, he responded, "If I knew what was going to come out, young man, I wouldn't paint it." I also found this very interesting. The unknown in life is more exciting than the known and a person can experience the best life has to offer when they set no limits or boundaries. Sure, you could take the road that's known and followed and feel comfortable about it but it's the same old thing. Or you could take the unknown, more adventurous road that will have a high risk or high reward type effect. I believe that if you want to take anything you're doing to another level, you need to go outside of your comfort zone. Nothing is gained by sheltering yourself from the outside world. You will fail many times before you succeed but you will never succeed if you don't make an attempt. It is difficult to go places when you're sitting still.

1 comment:

  1. I think you take an interesting look at this idea of just letting go and writing. I am not like that at all. I like to be in control of every situation and maybe that has stifled my creativity. Maybe I should experiment with just letting go and writing without thinking too much about it.

    ReplyDelete