Thursday, August 19, 2010

My History and Goals as a Writer

I feel that I can be somewhat of a descriptive writer. I do feel like I could improve some on that though. I also feel that I tend to ramble on sometimes. I need to learn to add just enough detail to make my writing interesting but not so much unnecessary information that people will lose interest. It’s about finding that happy medium. Sometimes I have trouble capturing the reader’s interest right away. I would like to learn to write better introductions and leads in order to get the reader hooked quickly. It can be boring to read multiples paragraphs before you get to the main idea. I've never really read a lot of novels but I read articles on sports and music all the time and whatever else I find that catches my interest. I'm on the Internet a lot so I'm constantly reading random things that catch my attention. My goal is to become a sports writer, preferably covering baseball or football because those are my two favorite sports. I have been following Major League Baseball ever since I was a little kid and I've been following the NFL and a bit of college football for many years as well. Covering the Atlanta Braves or the Atlanta Falcons would be a dream job for me.

3 comments:

  1. Well you did a great job not rambling on your first blog! I can understand how writing something to catch the reader's attention can be hard when you are mostly reading stories on sports and sport teams. That information is mostly facts. And with that kind of literature, you are targeting an audience that is already interested in the topic.
    Do you know exactly how you would like to cover sports? I mean do you want to write for the newspaper, internet sites, or broadcast? I've taken some writing classes for news reporting and writing for the paper and T.V. is kind of different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is awesome that you already have a path in mind already. Sports writing is probably a pretty fun job on top of just being able to jump right into the stuff you love and work with it. Plus if your goal is to write for the Braves or Falcons that is awesome just because of how sports schedules fall. Hell, it would even be fun to do other Atlanta home teams unless you're just not truly into those sports. I am a pretty big hockey and basketball fan as well (although not a huge Hawks fan), so it would be cool to read articles on them written by a fellow classmate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a nice entry. You were clear and direct. I like that you want to be a sports writer and you have a clear idea about where you are going. I am not much into sports, so I can't give any suggestions. I think if you keep developing your writing skills and create examples of what you can do then maybe after you graduate you can start working in this desired field. I would definitely keep reading the sports articles so you know what they look like. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete