Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Writing Life: "On Becoming a Writer"

The biggest thing I noticed about these writers is how much they love what they do. I knew writing novels, short stories along with other types of writing took a lot of work but the number of pages of notes and journals these people have borders on ridiculous. You truly have to love doing something to dedicate that much time and effort to it. I don't remember which writer it was but one of them said, "It didn't drive me to be a writer. Writing is what inspired me." If you really love doing something then you don't do it for a title. You do it because it's what you enjoy doing. Many people have said that if you do what you love, you'll never work a day in your life. I feel that these writers are a good example of this. Their work has taken the majority of their lives but they are spending their lives the way they want to, which is all that really matters. I personally would rather do something that I'm passionate about rather do something for money or prestige. People have said that time is money. So if this is true, wouldn't you rather enjoy the time you've been given than do something you dread getting up in the morning for just to make a few extra bucks?

2 comments:

  1. I think that if you are a writer you have to love what you do. At first, if ever, no one makes any money! I don't think I have as much dedication to the writing life as the writers we have read about. I think maybe we can learn from these writers. If you have passion, you should pursue it so I thinks these writers are inspiring, although at times they seem a little quirky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i also notice the passion of the writers. I wrote that though many didn't have the best opportunities to get started, they loved what skills they had and made it work. It's a great testimony for young writers.

    ReplyDelete