Monday, December 6, 2010

Poetics and Narrativity: How Texts Tell Stories

"Simply put, a story consists of two or more related, sequential events."

I can understand this statement in theory but I believe that a story is like a sandwich; it needs to have substance. Simply stating two events that occurred in sequence does not make for much of a story. There is no meat, no spice and no dressing. It is simply two pieces of bread. A good story has details. It is descriptive and gives the reader a good visual. If I were to say that I went to the bank, then the gym and then to lunch, no one would be very interested. But if I were to describe the people I ran into, what happened on the way there, what I did at the gym and what I ate for lunch, the story suddenly has a little bit of substance. An interesting story is all about detail. Sure, some things may be interesting on their own but people will then ask questions if I don't mention the details in the statement. This is what people want to know. A simple statement sounds no different than everyday life. But details give the reader/listener the variations, the things that make this trip to the bank, gym or lunch different from all the rest. Being able to visualize is what makes people want more. A simple statement can bore people and make them tune out.

No comments:

Post a Comment